Monday, May 31, 2004

It's all about me, baby!

I came into work this morning to find my office mate had festooned my desk with streamers and balloons, a nice treat on a morning that I turn another day older.

I've been reflecting on birthdays gone by, some have been great, some have been awful, some forgotten entirely.

My earliest birthday memory is the year I turned 6, my parents threw a big party in the yard and hired a magician. It was a wonderful party, full of friends and activities (apple bobbing, eating cookies dangling off the clothes line with no hands, 3 legged races) at a time when birthdays were something to be anticipated.

The year I turned 10 was my first (and only) birthday sleepover party. Two friends, dinner at the local pizzaria (Mother's Pizza), a movie downtown (I think it was the movie version of 'Annie') and lots of talking and giggling. I think that year was when the shift away from my birthday being a family to be about being with my friends happened.

The year I turned 15 was the year that wasn't. My grandmother had lost her battle with cancer just 1 week before and the day was lost in the carousel of funeral, visitation, etc. That's the year I lost my enthusiasm for birthdays.

Fast forward to 2000, my 28th birthday. C told me he was taking me to see Gladiator, and I was pouting about wasting our valuable baby sitting time on a movie I had no desire to see. He pulled up outside the plaza where my favourite restaurant is located "to use the bank machine". I came along for the walk and low and behold there was a huge group of my friends all waiting outside the restaurant! It took far too long for me to figure out it wasn't a coincidence, it was a birthday surprise for me :) What a wonderful party that was (and so many strawberry daquiris!!!)

Last year at this time I was taking it easy, trying not to go into labour before my scheduled c-section only 2 days away.

Now we've come around to the day again. I'm celebrating my 28th birthday for the 4th time, and once again it's become a family celebration with my husband and 3 children surrounding me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home