Friday, July 23, 2004

Potty talk

It's been one of those weeks where every morning I've woken up and thought "Thank goodness it's Friday". Oh the disappointment 4 out of 5 mornings.

They've replaced one of the toilets in the women's lav at work, which is something I never would have noticed except that I think the new toilet is a refugee from a kindergarten. Honestly it's not more than 18 inches high. WTF? How did the plumbers not notice they were installing a pygmy toilet? Like it's not hard enough to do the "squat" (you know what I mean) but now to have to aim at a hole a foot too low. I'm reminded of the one single time during my visit to Turkey where nature called in a place without a European toilet (what they refer to as an Ala Franka - with apologies for the spelling).

My sunburn is healing nicely, only a couple of sore spots left and a large portion has reverted to its unnatural sallow blue-white shade already. No base tan here. I will be more careful in the future though, I can't imagine after a handful of burns like that one I'll escape skin cancer forever. Funny though, I don't remember wearing sunscreen as a small child (though my mom was religious about making me wear a hat, long sleeves and knee socks on sunny days) or as a teen and I had only 5 or 6 bad burns. Now though it seems I burn almost every time I'm outside longer than 10 minutes. Is this what the destruction of the ozone layer is doing? Will the very pale eventually become extinct?


July of 1974. click for larger.
Hmmm... I do look a little pink in the face. Doubtless somewhere there was a hat at least to match those oh so fashionable knee socks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home