Saturday, December 04, 2004

Can I keep some of my money? Please?

I am getting really, really sick of having my hard-earned money snatched away! I'm sick to death of the ridiculous bank fees, ridiculous interest charges, utterly ridiculous Canadian taxes. Recently the Ontario government added yet another new tax - a "health care premium" which is an extra $500 or so per year (before you lecture me about that being cheap for health care bear in mind I also pay 40% of my gross income to federal taxes which are supposed to cover my health care costs). Then, as if the new health care tax isn't enough, several doctor's offices in the province (and particularly in Ottawa) are going to be charging their patients an annual "administrative fee". WTF? One of the principles of Canadian identity is universal healthcare and all of these fees aren't making it very universal in my books. Think of it this way - I could see my family doctor for this sore wrist of mine and he would bill the government about $30 for my 15 minute visit (plus extra for whatever tests he would order and whatever call-backs are required). Or, I could go to the emergency department at our local hospital and the cost to OHIP would be more than $300 for the same 15 minute consult and tests. I'm not about to go to the emergency department for a sore wrist but the people who lose their family doctors because they can't afford the "administrative fee" may well.

To add to my tax frustration more and more of the people I know are becoming "small businesses". They continue to work and earn money but by registering themselves (for a nominal fee - some $200) as a small business they can write off a large part of their living expenses against their earned income - meaning they pay far less tax. Those tax incentives are supposed to be for the entrepreneurs who power our economy, the people who's hard work and vision will eventually provide more jobs. Using those tax incentives to offset regular income is nothing short of tax evasion - yet it's perfectly legal. So why don't I pony up my $200 and become a "self-employed business person"? Apparently my moral compass won't allow it. I can bitch about the tax system but I can't make myself cheat it. And that sucks more than anything else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home