Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Dying for milk

This article has me upset on so many different levels. Babies dying always upsets me, obviously, but dying needlessly and essentially starving to death? Starving to death because of greed. If the link above doesn't work the gist of the article is that dozens of infants have died in Eastern China over the past year after being fed counterfeit formula which was ridiculously substandard in terms of protein and vitamin content. They're all from an impoverished, ill-educated section of the country where their parents (and store keepers) didn't know enough to question why this formula was so much cheaper than the others.

Initially when I read the article my first instinct was to shoot off my mouth about the benefits of breastfeeding and question why impoverished people are paying for artificial milk when the real stuff is free. But hey, that's been done and I don't know anything about the situation in Eastern China. So instead I'll question how anyone could be so low, so inhuman as to produce infant formula that's little more than tap water. These horrible greedy people had to know what the outcome would be. This is premeditated murder, it's preying on the most defenceless members of society. I'm sickened, I'm horrified, I'm disgusted. Until today I'd viewed counterfeiting as a white collar "victimless" crime but my eyes are open now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home