Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Sleep

My eldest has always been a sleeper. He started sleeping through the night at 5 weeks and was a long, deep sleeper his whole infancy/toddlerhood. He didn't give up his afternoon nap until he started school! All this is to say I was very spoiled and perhaps had some unrealistic expectations about baby sleep.

Katie, at just turned 3, hasn't regularly napped in nearly 6 months. She goes to bed around 8:30 and is up and chipper between 6 and 7. She then goes full-tilt until 8:30 again! She's mostly sleeping through the night now but from 18 months until just a couple of months ago she was up 4 or 5 nights a week.

Jonah still has never slept longer than a 5 hour stretch, and his average is somewhat less than 3. 10 months old and he's up 3 or 4 times each and every night. Yesterday he took a longish and lateish afternoon nap which resulted in him being WIDE awake from 1:30am until 5:30am. Oh my heavens I'm exhausted today. He just doesn't seen to need as much sleep as other 10 month old babies. With him cosleeping we're awake everytime he rolls around, and perhaps we're contributing to his frequent nighttime wakings with our own movements. I'm pretty sure that the cosleeping has to stop (not as sure as I was at 4am but still pretty sure). I just don't know how to get him into the crib. He generally sleeps the first leg of the night in there (which is from about 8:30 to 10:30) but then won't go back in there. He simply can't fall asleep by himself either, and his only lovey is me. Crying it out is not an option, not only does it go against my beliefs but it simply doesn't work with Jonah (the child who screamed for 40 minutes in the car because he didn't want to be in the carseat). I don't really know how to proceed but I have to start now, before it gets worse. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home