Monday, September 13, 2004

Eating crow (and other tasty snacks)

The phone rings bright and early Saturday morning - it's the MIL asking if all 5 of us would like to come for dinner that night to meet the overseas friends. As soon as I hung up I asked C if that meant I had to edit my blog rant. So consider this a public apology - sorry MIL (not that she reads anyway).

C opened the back of our dryer and right away found a scorched sensor - $15 for the part at an appliance repair shop (courtesy a discount from C's friend who's parents own the store - this is the smallest population 750,000 town on the planet) and now we're back in business. However it doesn't mark the end of our appliance woes, no indeed. More on that.

Sunday some of C's work friends came for dinner which was wonderful, super nice people (and J is a photo nut like me so I got to drag out some of the albums :) ) and soooo much food. C made nice big steaks, and there was paté and Brie and lots of other yummies. I was so full afterwards I practically rolled up the stairs. Katie as usual provided the entertainment, what goes through the minds of 3 year olds anyway? Anyway after our company left I loaded the dishwasher and turned it on, but for some reason we stayed in the kitchen instead of heading off for other parts of the house. After maybe 60 seconds C says "I smell smoke". Yup, it was pluming from the dishwasher. The dishwasher which, I might add, we purchased brand-spanking new in April. Anyway we stopped it, fanned out all of the smoke, then C reset it and started it again and it worked fine (with a lingering burnt stench). I still hovered around until it was done, call me paranoid. We have murdered 4 appliances in the past 13 months - our fridge died the week before the big blackout in August 2003, our washing machine died at Christmas, our dishwasher in April, and now the dryer (which is thankfully fixed for now). That only leaves the stove, and the clock conked out on it about 6 weeks ago so it's due. Hmmm, perhaps if it does die I can get a self-cleaning one, wouldn't that be loverly :)

And my earlier rant about seeing the man in black pointing a gun at me... well today I didn't see him, at least not in time :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home