Sunday, April 17, 2005

Bugs and Fairy Princesses

What's that saying about never raining but pouring? I started out with a cold, spent the evening at the home of a cat and today have a humongeous phlegm ball firmly lodged in my lungs. Bugger. Probably why Jonah's been miserable the past week, he's probably been harbouring this bug. Spring is the worst time to get sick, at least in the winter you expect to feel like crap, in the Spring you're just so deperate to be outdoors.

My SIL paid for a session of "pre-ballet" for Katie for her birthday, 3 and 4 year olds, run by the city (and she signed the g-niece up too so the girls go together). Her first class was last week, the instructor (an impossibly thin and perky young woman) collected all of the girls and then VERY FIRMLY told us all to get lost, that we distract the kids to much. *pout* 15 or so parents standing in the hallway clutching cameras and looking lost. The last class will be open and we'll get our fill of pictures then. But it's like a secret society - after each class we ask Katie and Mimi to show us what they've learned and they refuse! A preschool cult in the making.

When SIL signed the girls up she was told that since it's just babies that shorts, t-shirt and bare feet were the way to go. I sent Katie in shorts, t-shirt and her Ro*beez slippers, Mimi was in a bodysuit and bare feet. The other dozen toddlers were in leotards, tights, ballet slippers and some even in tutus. Absolutely freakin' adorable, but Mimi was quite crushed that the other girls had all of these things. Katie didn't seem to care until this week when we were getting ready to leave and I said "OK I'll just grab your shorts and slipers and we'll be ready to go" and she said "and my ballet dress too?". Yeesh. She didn't fuss at all but I guess I was deluding myself that she didn't notice. I'm torn though, as incredibly adorable as seeing her in the whole getup would be, it's really a waste of money that I can't afford to waste right now you know? Wonder if I could get a second hand set somewhere near here?

Katie and Jonah are fighting right now over a blanket, as much as it will probably irritate me in years to come I find their fighting quite exciting right now, proof positive that Jonah is beginning to interact with his sister, something he didn't do much in his first 20 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home